Sunday, April 24, 2016

Apricot & Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookie Recipe


Toby is almost seven weeks old and I continue to breastfeed my baby. 
The journey of nursing a child is not easy, and mine is one that I plan to share when I reach the 2 month mark!
For now, I've been kinda obsessing with anything that may promote a healthy, increased milk supply.
My best friend Sheryl baked some lactation cookies when she was nursing her baby girl Zuraya and gave me the idea to do the same. So with my eternal sweet tooth and extra time to spend in the kitchen, I got to work the other night.
These came out pretty good. My husband and Benny ate plenty of them and I think I'm ready to bake another batch. 
I can't tell for sure how effective they've been at increasing my milk supply but I did pump almost 5 ounces of breast milk in a single session this weekend (a first for me). This, about four days after baking and enjoying these cookies.
I think the key ingredients are the flaxseed meal, the oats and most importantly, the brewer's yeast.
Here's the recipe, which yields about 2 dozen cookies:



Ingredients
*1/2 Cup butter
*1/2 Cup sugar
*1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
*2 Tablespoons water
*1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal (Trader Joe's)
*1 Egg
*1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
*1 Cup flour
*1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
*1/2 Teaspoon salt
*1 1/2 Cups oats (I used Quaker)
*1/2 Cup chocolate chips
*1/2 Cup dried apricots (finely chopped)
*3 Tablespoons brewers yeast (I ordered this on Amazon.com)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the flaxseed meal & water and let sit for 5 minutes.




Beat butter, sugar & brown sugar well.
Add eggs and mix well.
Add flaxseed mix and vanilla, beat well.




In a separate bowl, sift the powdery ingredients; the flour, brewers yeast, baking soda & salt.
Add these ingredients to the butter mix.




Stir in the oats, chocolate chips and dried apricots.




Scoop onto baking sheet. I used a medium-sized ice cream scoop for cookies the size of the palm of my hand.




Bake for 14 minutes.




You can also add nuts, raisins and pretty much any other ingredient to make them extra yummy!
Enjoy!


No comments: